Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs- Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs
Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
from PetMD

Dogs, especially puppies, are known for eating things when they are not supposed to. This can be a dangerous combination when there is chocolate around the house. Also, dogs have an excellent sense of smell, making it fairly easy to find any secret hiding spots for the chocolate.

Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains certain properties that can be toxic to animals: caffeine and theobromine. If ingested, these two ingredients can also lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal for your pet.

If you would like to learn how chocolate poisoning affects cats, please visit this page in the PetMD Health Library.

Symptoms and Types

• Vomiting
• Diarrhea
• Increased body temperature
• Increased reflex responses
• Muscle rigidity
• Rapid breathing
• Increased heart rate
• Low blood pressure
• Seizures
• Advanced signs (cardiac failure, weakness, and coma)

The amount and type of chocolate ingested is also important, as they are determining factors for the severity of the toxicity. The three types of chocolate that you must be aware of are:

1. Milk Chocolate – Mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested; severe toxicity occurs when two ounces per pound of body weight is ingested (or as little as one pound of milk chocolate for a 20-pound dog).
2. Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounce per pound of body weight is ingested; severe toxicity occurs when one ounce per pound of body weight is ingested (or as little as six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate for a 20-pound dog).
3. Baking Chocolate – This type of chocolate has the highest concentration of caffeine and theobromine. Therefore, as little as two small one-ounce squares of baking chocolate can be toxic to a 20-pound dog (or 0.3 ounce per pound of body weight).


In the right quantities chocolate can become toxic for any dog. So be wary of feeding your pet anything that might contain chocolate and always keep it out of reach.


Your veterinarian will perform a complete physical exam, including a chemical blood profile, electrolyte panel and a urinalysis. These tests will help determine if there is a chocolate/caffeine overdose.

Blood can also be taken to test for theobromine concentrations, while an ECG is performed to help determine if the heart is showing any abnormalities in rhythm or conduction of heart beats.


The pet should be seen immediately by your veterinarian, keeping it cool, calm, and in a quiet place. It is common practice to induce the dog to vomit and control any seizures, should they occur.

Fluids will be given to keep your pet hydrated as its condition improves. To avoid any further problems, it should be fed a bland diet for several days.


It is crucial to your pet’s health to keep chocolate products out of their reach, as there is no antidote to chocolate toxicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leading the Way offers doggie daycare and all types of training, including private, group classes and a residential training program. Behavior assessment and modification is done using ONLY positive methods focused on shaping behavior.

We have over 25 years of professional experience, dedicated to enhancing the relationship of both ends of the leash, through knowledge, compassion, and building long term relationships with our clients, both two and four legged.